This mixed-use historic renovation and new construction project sits prominently at the corner of S. Peters and St. Joseph streets in New Orleans’ Warehouse District. The historic two-story 17,260 sf masonry warehouse was built in two phases in 1900 and 1901.
The restored masonry and timber warehouse structure includes street-level retail space connected by a shared lobby to second-floor commercial office space. The new building occupies a lot left empty after the demolition of the c. 1855 “Iron Warehouse” following Hurricane Katrina. Its 67,814 square feet across five stories includes street-level retail space, two levels of parking, and two stories of office space. A monumental stair is designed to link the two spaces and bring light deeper into the buildings while allowing access to a future roof terrace atop the existing warehouse.
The new building’s façades echo the rigor, rhythm, and straightforward practicality of the surrounding warehouse elevations in a contextual yet modern design that reconciles the human and industrial scales.